Honda Passport Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Good question but I don't think it's the clear bra even if it was put there (but still think they did not add any there). Here is a closer picture. It's all jacked.

Some good news here. Dealership said Honda will replace. (y)

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
388 Posts
I really have no need for one of these. But if I should, this would be the one I'd get. Looks great and is very proportional for the Passport as if it was made for it. Nicely done!

Reactions: 407guy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Drove about 200 miles this weekend with the Thule box. Mostly highway driving around 70-75 mph. Overall MPG for the trip was about 22-23 which is slightly better than I would get with the basket. And the Thule isn't as noisy (not that I thought the basket was loud).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
So had the surgery done... Removed a component of the exhaust system.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Probably going to put it back on and remove the other component. What was removed was not straight through. The other component towards the rear is straight through. While the sound is really good anywhere below 3,000 rpm my fear is the drone around 2,000 rpm (for me right where 75 mph cruise control is) may be too much for extended periods. If the HP wasn't used for road trips I'd probably leave it the way it is.

I knew going into this it may take some time and money to "tune" the best for me.

And you do not hear anything different above 3,000 rpm. I'd like to have the sound when stompin' on the gas and the higher rpm range -- not right where we'd be cruising on the highway for extended periods.

Reactions: Tats

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
So went back to the shop to talk with them about re-installing the OEM muffler and removing the back resonator/muffler (closer to rear axle). Dude was adamant that reinstalling the OEM muffler and removing the back component would not give me any more sound than the factory sound. ** shrug **

One choice is to install some aftermarket muffler where the OEM muffler went to take some of the bite out of the low RPM drone I get..

Other choice is reinstall the OEM muffler, remove the entire stock system and have them build a custom exhaust with aftermarket muffler and, for me, straight through to the exit.

As this is my first Honda SUV I'm not sure if that is the nature of Honda's V6 -- most sound will come from the lower RPMs which is right where the rig cruises at 75mph. I'd like to wake up the HP around 3-4k RPMs if possible.

:unsure:

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
399 Posts
How about an exhaust cut-out also called exhaust bypass?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Yeah something to consider but when I was at the shop they fired up the HP with the exhaust disconnected. So essentially what it would be like if a straight pipe. It was loud, really loud. And I can't image what the drone would be like if using an exhaust cut-out. With my current set-up I at least have some "muffling" of the sound with the rear resonator and the small resonators/mufflers near the tips.

I'm leaning towards getting it back to OEM and then having a custom set-up made. Magnaflow makes a system for the Ridgeline so I'm going to call them and ask what muffler and resonator they use for their system and possibly duplicate it with a custom HP set-up. Just buy the separate pieces and have the shop handle the fabrication of the piping.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Back to he OEM exhaust setup. Now the next challenge: finding an exhaust connector flange to use for a custom setup. The connector flange where the exhaust connects to the cat converter. Cannot find them anywhere. May need to start looking for a junked Ridgeline, Pilot, or MDX to get their exhaust and use the flange. ** shrug **

Called Magnaflow and asked if they sold them separately since they have a system for the Ridgeline. No luck but they did send me the schematics for the flange they use so I at least have that as a starting point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back to he OEM exhaust setup. Now the next challenge: finding an exhaust connector flange to use for a custom setup. The connector flange where the exhaust connects to the cat converter. Cannot find them anywhere. May need to start looking for a junked Ridgeline, Pilot, or MDX to get their exhaust and use the flange. ** shrug **

Called Magnaflow and asked if they sold them separately since they have a system for the Ridgeline. No luck but they did send me the schematics for the flange they use so I at least have that as a starting point.
So I want more sound. What muffler shoould I put in it?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
So I want more sound. What muffler shoould I put in it?
No idea as I'm not even there myself. I can only comment on removing the Honda muffler and, to me, the bad drone around 2,000 rpms by doing that. Others may say (or "hear") that it sounds awesome with that muffler delete. ** shrug **

·
Registered
55 Posts
A tandem set of Magnaflow stainless would probably sound pretty nice. Walker, Nickson and Arvin all make weld-on flanges try there or just have the fab guys deal with it...get a replacement gasket for each end to size them correctly

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
A tandem set of Magnaflow stainless would probably sound pretty nice. Walker, Nickson and Arvin all make weld-on flanges try there or just have the fab guys deal with it...get a replacement gasket for each end to size them correctly
Pardon my ignorance but is that a company name? That has been my nemesis: finding the metal flanges to fabricate a "custom" setup. Looking for this flange:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
And here is what Magnaflow sent me. They said they do not sell them separately so this is all I have at the moment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All those are exhaust manufacturers or exhaust component manufacturers. All have PDF catalogs available for download. If I were building this I would buy both front and rear gaskets then compare measurements from catalog to each gasket. For what you want (I think) sound-wise I would go with a Magnaflow multi-chamber front muffler and either a dual chamber rear or straight-thru. Depends how much resonance you want. You need back pressure (chambers) on the front to slow down the sound waves (and not kill your gas mileage). The dual rear will deepen and soften the sound out back while a straight thru will have more high frequency wave (think whaaa). I prefer growl to whaaa but chose what you want. Use stainless mufflers and pipe, flanges will be carbon which will rust, unless you can find SS somewhere

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Thanks Pete.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Received the cargo cover from HondaPartWorld. Also ordered the roof crossbars at the same time. Both said they shipped on the same date but the crossbars are not arriving, per UPS, until 15-Mar-2019. Not sure what happened but not impressed with HondaPartWorld at the moment.

Likewise disappointed with the cargo cover. About a 4" gap between the rear seat and the cover. So much for concealing your cargo.

Dont the seats not only recline but also slide back ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Yes. I do believe when I took my measure above the seats were back (slider and recline).

121 - 140 of 162 Posts