Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone tried a bigger tire on the Passports yet?

245/60R20 is 31.6 (29.6 is standard)

255/55R20 is 31.0 (29.6 is standard)

I like the idea of the bigger sidewall in 245/60 but they are pushing the size a little, there may be some rubbing

255/55 is bigger and will fit without issues but I am less interested in a wider tire.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
kslu,
31.6" OD seems impossible to not rub. Would love to hear if anyone got that to work.

Have you made a tire switch? If you're still considering it, I would recommend getting a set of 18" Ridgeline wheels online, and fitting them with either my setup or a 255/65/18 Falken Wildpeak Trail.

As for tire width, the wider tire will grip better offroad. 255 isn't too much larger than OEM, so it seems like its staying true to the vehicle's design. And frankly I think it looks cooler. :cool:

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,825 Posts
Something to consider about going with taller tires is:

The height difference is divided by two; what this means is that the difference in the tire height (for example: 31.6 - 29.6 = 2") however that 2" is centered around the Hub, meaning your vehicle will only be 1" taller off the ground and 1" taller in the wheel well, (not sure I explained that correctly...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kslu,
31.6" OD seems impossible to not rub. Would love to hear if anyone got that to work.

Have you made a tire switch? If you're still considering it, I would recommend getting a set of 18" Ridgeline wheels online, and fitting them with either my setup or a 255/65/18 Falken Wildpeak Trail.

As for tire width, the wider tire will grip better offroad. 255 isn't too much larger than OEM, so it seems like its staying true to the vehicle's design. And frankly I think it looks cooler. :cool:
Hey, I got 17 inch KMC Bully wheels and a Blizzaks 245/70R17 and they are 30.6 in diameter. I don't have a lift kit and the tire only rubs a bit at a full lock. Blizzaks are awesome in the ever-present Seattle rain and in the snow.

Once I wear out OEM 20 inchers, I am thinking of trying all-terrain tires like DISCOVERER AT3 4S or DYNAPRO AT2, something not too aggressive and noisy but with white letters. I don't do any offroading other than occasional gravel road, so traction is the least of my concerns. I do a fare amount of snow driving but I already got Blizzaks for that:) I have not decided on the sizing. I am willing to go .5-1.0 inch bigger than EOM but I am less willing to go wider.

I do like how 255 width tire looks on your Passport. I am considering that but at the same time I don't want the penalty in mpgs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, I’ll watch for what you post after that switch down the road.

Have you ever gotten snow or ice built up on the well with that small of tire clearance?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I’ll watch for what you post after that switch down the road.

Have you ever gotten snow or ice built up on the well with that small of tire clearance?
I will be honest, I mostly drove in town last winter, not a lot of ski trips since we had a little baby. I did not notice any issues with build up but I also did not put a lot of miles in the snow. I did venture in deep snow and had no problems.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport, Touring / 'TourElite'
23 Posts
Hey, I got 17 inch KMC Bully wheels and a Blizzaks 245/70R17 and they are 30.6 in diameter. I don't have a lift kit and the tire only rubs a bit at a full lock. Blizzaks are awesome in the ever-present Seattle rain and in the snow.

View attachment 7132

Once I wear out OEM 20 inchers, I am thinking of trying all-terrain tires like DISCOVERER AT3 4S or DYNAPRO AT2, something not too aggressive and noisy but with white letters. I don't do any offroading other than occasional gravel road, so traction is the least of my concerns. I do a fare amount of snow driving but I already got Blizzaks for that:) I have not decided on the sizing. I am willing to go .5-1.0 inch bigger than EOM but I am less willing to go wider.

I do like how 255 width tire looks on your Passport. I am considering that but at the same time I don't want the penalty in mpgs.
Hi, I know I’m new here but I’m passionate 😎. I too want A different wheel set up. I don’t know if the 17” will work, I know, (Or was told) it won’t work for my 20PP. Hope someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I know I’m new here but I’m passionate 😎. I too want A different wheel set up. I don’t know if the 17” will work, I know, (Or was told) it won’t work for my 20PP. Hope someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny.
Seems like a few members on here including kslu are happy with 17" rims.
Good luck deciding!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Pilot with 17 inch KMC Bully wheels. Works just fine. I think I have seen a few other Passports with 17 inch wheels. You can also call Tire Rack or Discount Tire to confirm that the specific wheels fit.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport, Touring / 'TourElite'
23 Posts
That’s great news, Thanks guys!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Any rub? Those look awesome and thinking about that setup.

Thanks
under normal driving and loads...no

I loaded the cargo area full, added a hitch mount cargo rack and filled it, and had 4 people in the vehicle and I rubbed once going over a large speed bump...other than that, never

·
Registered
8 Posts
under normal driving and loads...no

I loaded the cargo area full, added a hitch mount cargo rack and filled it, and had 4 people in the vehicle and I rubbed once going over a large speed bump...other than that, never
That's great....one more questions (from a noob)...I have the sport wheels (8" width)....would these work similarly?

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't believe they will work on a sport wheel. According the Cooper website the minimum wheel width is 8.5"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Was in a customer's shop today who just happened to have a set of 4 Wildpeak getting ready to go on a Jeep, very nice tire. I'm probably going to put them on both my wife's Forester and my 2020 EX-L....very reasonable price and all reviews on Tire Rack are positive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts