Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2023 Passport Elite / 1993 YJ Sahara
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to access the fog lights? Can you just pull back the wheel well or do you need to remove the front bumper?
I've read about difficulty accessing them but that was on the models before the front end refresh.

· Registered
888 Posts
From the owners manual.

Fog lights are LED type. Have an authorized Honda dealer inspect and replace the light assembly.

If you are wanting to replace the whole assembly with non OEM then I believe you have to pull the bumper.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the owners manual.

Fog lights are LED type. Have an authorized Honda dealer inspect and replace the light assembly.

If you are wanting to replace the whole assembly with non OEM then I believe you have to pull the bumper.
I'm just wanting to remove the housing so I can put the yellow lamin X on easier and then reinstall.

· Registered
2021 Touring AWD
54 Posts
Haven't been all that impressed with the lamination I've seen on various vehicles. Typically ends up peeling. That being said, it's definitely the easiest option. Make sure to clean the lens thoroughly first! Something like rubbing alcohol to get all the residue/oils off.

I installed the Baja Designs yellow fogs on mine. Those things are insanely bright! The installation was certainly not 'plug and play' though. I had to get creative for the mounting and I also had to cut off the stock connectors and wire it into the ones they provide. The bumper had to come off for that.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't been all that impressed with the lamination I've seen on various vehicles. Typically ends up peeling. That being said, it's definitely the easiest option. Make sure to clean the lens thoroughly first! Something like rubbing alcohol to get all the residue/oils off.

I installed the Baja Designs yellow fogs on mine. Those things are insanely bright! The installation was certainly not 'plug and play' though. I had to get creative for the mounting and I also had to cut off the stock connectors and wire it into the ones they provide. The bumper had to come off for that.
I've had it put on all of my previous vehicles without issue but I will keep my eyes open for peeling.

· Registered
888 Posts

Had the Lamin-X on my foglight for almost 3 years now, not a hint of peeling. If you take you time and follow the instructions you should have no problems.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to update, it's extremely simple to remove the fog lights. 3 Phillips heads on wheel well liner, 1 10mm bolt underneath and you can move the liner to the side enough to access the 3 Phillips heads that secure the fog light. This gives you plenty of room to pull the fog light out by hand.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
93 Posts
Just to make sure I'm on the same page: Lamin-X is to ensure the lenses dont yellow/haze? Or is there a durability aspect to it - i.e. helps prevent cracks etc?

I've owned the Mirage for 8 years. While I've had to replace the fogs already because it shattered, the headlights aren't bad at all considering the harsh environment. Though most of it's life it's been under a garage during the day - so I'm sure that helped a lot. Starting in 2023, it will now live outside 99% of the time so I'm really about to see how the headlights cope. This discussion is making me want to go ahead and prep it now...

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to make sure I'm on the same page: Lamin-X is to ensure the lenses dont yellow/haze? Or is there a durability aspect to it - i.e. helps prevent cracks etc?

I've owned the Mirage for 8 years. While I've had to replace the fogs already because it shattered, the headlights aren't bad at all considering the harsh environment. Though most of it's life it's been under a garage during the day - so I'm sure that helped a lot. Starting in 2023, it will now live outside 99% of the time so I'm really about to see how the headlights cope. This discussion is making me want to go ahead and prep it now...
It does provide protection, it is a thick self annealing vinyl covering, while I chose to tint the fogs yellow, they also offer it in clear and some other colors if yellow isn't your thing. I'm not sure about UV protection though.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
93 Posts
Thanks for that.

TBH, I'm wondering why the industry has not released something like that for the windshield. Rock chips and cracks are annoying and I'm thinking a few MMs worth of clear vinyl would greatly help. I'm sure someone's thought about it and has a good reason for not putting it into production.

· Registered
888 Posts
They have been invented. Nascar uses them. Easy way to clean the windshield of bugs and debris. But then Nascar is a competitor on a closed track with well trained drivers. For the film to be strong enough to deal with chips and cracks the thickness would make vision through it less than desirable. Same reason that glasses can get a hard coating for scratch resistance in stead of using a stick on vinyl. The soft vinyls will not be perfectly even or clear.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a new 2023 Passport "EXL", and realized after I got it home that it has no fog lights. There is a plugged opening in the bumper, but no lights. I talked to the dealer about this, and they really don't know if they can be added because of the light stalk. I would be happy with a switch. I live in a rural area and consider them a necessity, and use them all the time to light the ditches for deer. Is the wiring in place for the fog lights? Is this even possible to add the lights without it becoming an extremely add?

· Registered
907 Posts
I have a new 2023 Passport "EXL", and realized after I got it home that it has no fog lights. There is a plugged opening in the bumper, but no lights. I talked to the dealer about this, and they really don't know if they can be added because of the light stalk. I would be happy with a switch. I live in a rural area and consider them a necessity, and use them all the time to light the ditches for deer. Is the wiring in place for the fog lights? Is this even possible to add the lights without it becoming an extremely add?
You can add either OEM fog lights or after market ones but you will have to run new wiring and place a switch on the dash to control it because your present steering column light stalk does not have the fog light control function.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good question, you could always wire up aftermarket fogs to a toggle switch in the dash, the trick would be fabricating a bracket that let's you bolt them into the existing area while still looking clean.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
93 Posts
There's a website where you can view wrecked vehicles and take parts; can't quite remember what... car-part.com maybe? I would find rear/side wrecked PPs with the fogs. I would imagine 2021/2022s should be similar to the 2023? You might be able to get everything you need from one car.

Reactions: Big Red

· Premium Member
2019 Passport Elite
187 Posts

I put Lamin-X (yellow) on my fog lights some time ago and am still pleased. No peeling, no anything.

· Registered
3 Posts
You can add either OEM fog lights or after market ones but you will have to run new wiring and place a switch on the dash to control it because your present steering column light stalk does not have the fog light control function.
Is this difficult to add the OEM fog lights? Am I best having my Honda dealer do the work, or will a good body shop work? I am waiting for my dealership to reply on what they found out for me.

· Registered
907 Posts
Is this difficult to add the OEM fog lights? Am I best having my Honda dealer do the work, or will a good body shop work? I am waiting for my dealership to reply on what they found out for me.
I doubt if your Honda dealer will agree to do the work if your Passport is one of the trims without fogs, with an eye on warranty liability most dealers won't add accessories that the manufacturer did not make available as an option for the trim. Your best bet is probably a body shop, if they know what they are doing it's not a difficult job. The front bumper will have bolting points for the OEM fog lights but they will have to run new wiring through the firewall to a newly installed switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts