Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been digging into the forums here for about a month and finally pulled the trigger trading my 2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - TRD Sport that I owned for 8 years on the 2022 Passport Trailsport in Sonic Gray. Now officially in the club here.

Basically the story goes like this: Family of 3 about to become a family of 4 and our two cars were a 2014 Corolla and the Tacoma (that I traded). Although I love both of these vehicles neither is very comfortable for moving around a family and all the gear that comes with it.

We are constantly out to the bike trails for biking and hiking, I go on a few camping trips a year, and a yearly family beach trip...so I just was not ready to fully give up the rugged vehicle idea and decided that a passport was the perfect median between family vehicle and the rugged get around that I want.

Big selling points for me were number one the massive cargo space, V6 engine, shorter overall length, and plethora of features that I have been living without in my 2014's. I chose the Trailsport trim because I just liked it...no better reason, figured while I am spending the money get something I like. I does have a few extra features power/heated/memory mirrors, sun shades, and roof rails that I was into as well.

I have on order hitch and harness (dealer will install) no ATF cooler as I have nothing to tow yet, Idlestopper start/stop kill switch, Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless Car Play, black out rear "H" symbol, OEM cargo tray, OEM seat back protectors, OEM Crossbars, Photodon MXH screen protector, LED interior lights, LED High beams, LED reverse lights, and cup holder hero kit.

Open to suggestions on what else to do...somewhat interested in a roof cargo baskets (OEM or Yakima or other?), hitch baskets, running boards, tint on the front windows, Cansporter trashcan hauler. Things I'm not aware of!?

Also, anybody re-route the head unit USB to the center console USB to hide the carlinkit down there?

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky

· 2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,820 Posts
Welcome & Congrats.....!

Seems like you are hitting the ground - running with all your add-ons....!

· Registered
39 Posts
Nice PP, just picked up a white one. I am going to look into some of those accessories you listed for my own, never heard of Carlinkit. Please post after you install the LED lighting, I am curious how easy they are to install and if everything works properly after swapping. Huge Gratz!

· Registered
126 Posts
Welcome, I'm about 3 weeks into owning mine, (wife's car). I finally was able to try out the adaptive cruse control/lane assist for the first time today. I don't usually use any type of cruse control even on long trips but it's kinda interesting, might be nice on a long trip.
Really well thought out vehicle. We stumbled upon ours completely by accident but couldn't be happier with it, I'm sure you will be as well.

· Registered
'22 Sonic Gray Pearl Trailsport
56 Posts
When you reach down through the center console to unplug the power connector for your Idlestopper be aware that the opening is punched and the edges will shave meat off your hand. Wear a glove or cover the edges with tape. I bought the Carlinkit 4.0 for Android Auto and it does not work. Let me know if you have better luck with the 3.0 version.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you reach down through the center console to unplug the power connector for your Idlestopper be aware that the opening is punched and the edges will shave meat off your hand. Wear a glove or cover the edges with tape. I bought the Carlinkit 4.0 for Android Auto and it does not work. Let me know if you have better luck with the 3.0 version.
Good to know about the sharp areas, I will look out for that!

Carlinkit 3.0 has worked so far (Apple Car Play). Tested starting the vehicle about a dozen times it connected every time. Also took about a 2 hour ride today and had no issues with google maps navigation, Spotify, and had a phone call...no issues. There is a page in the instruction book about how to push an update of sorts to the adapter. I did not have to do this, but I have seen others on the forum say they needed to do that to get it to work.

My problem is that I did all this so that I could utilize the wireless charger and I cannot get my phone to stay charging for more than a minute before it needs to be repositioned or lifted and placed back down, which only gets me another minute of charging and then it quits charging again.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice PP, just picked up a white one. I am going to look into some of those accessories you listed for my own, never heard of Carlinkit. Please post after you install the LED lighting, I am curious how easy they are to install and if everything works properly after swapping. Huge Gratz!
Put in the LED high beams and reverse lights today. Super easy to install, there is youtube's out there for each light (15 minute job). Both are excellent, easily 3x brighter. Decided to order the rear turn signals as well. I was surprised that the high beams have little fans built-in and you can hear them run if the engine is not on. Not a big deal as there not on all the time or very long, just noting it as i was not expecting per say.

High-beams:
Reverse Lights:
Rear Turn Signals:

Passenger side with LED and Drivers side with stock Halogen:

Vehicle Tire Grille Automotive lighting Car

· Registered
56 Posts
Good to know about the sharp areas, I will look out for that!

Carlinkit 3.0 has worked so far (Apple Car Play). Tested starting the vehicle about a dozen times it connected every time. Also took about a 2 hour ride today and had no issues with google maps navigation, Spotify, and had a phone call...no issues. There is a page in the instruction book about how to push an update of sorts to the adapter. I did not have to do this, but I have seen others on the forum say they needed to do that to get it to work.

My problem is that I did all this so that I could utilize the wireless charger and I cannot get my phone to stay charging for more than a minute before it needs to be repositioned or lifted and placed back down, which only gets me another minute of charging and then it quits charging again.
I have the same issue with my charger, thought it might be my phone, it's almost 5 years old. Thought it also might be the problem with the Carlinkit but it works in my Element with an aftermarket radio. I might try the update this weekend, thanks.

· Registered
56 Posts
Put in the LED high beams and reverse lights today. Super easy to install, there is youtube's out there for each light (15 minute job). Both are excellent, easily 3x brighter. Decided to order the rear turn signals as well. I was surprised that the high beams have little fans built-in and you can hear them run if the engine is not on. Not a big deal as there not on all the time or very long, just noting it as i was not expecting per say.

High-beams:
Reverse Lights:
Rear Turn Signals:

Passenger side with LED and Drivers side with stock Halogen:

View attachment 16052
All three of these links say they don't fit a '22 PP TS. Obviously you disagree!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for posting

I just got the exact same vehicle

Did you install all of these?

Wireless charger has had problems with iPhone I think 11 and up.My 22 civic did the same thing with my iPhone
Yes, I installed everything on the original post and the LED lights...very happy with it all.
How did the rear turn signals work out? Thanks for sharing.
Bright AF, I love it!

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:

• All lights are installed and work great.
  • Idlestopper works every time
  • Carlinkit 3.0 works, it is slow...but I like having the wireless apple carplay
  • Cupholder hero kit is ok. I think its a must do, but I wish the quality was better
  • Also added the HPD mudflaps to the list

Some updated photos...

Showing the tint here and the side view with the crossbars and HPD mudflaps:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

Put the cargo mat and seat back protectors in with strong velcro tape...it works great.

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk

Love the photodon MXH screen protector, I got it on first try no issue:

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Love the blackout H emblem, but its a cumbersome little upgrade...I followed the factory install instructions to disassemble the whole rear hatch from the inside and it was worth it to do it right.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

· Registered
61 Posts
Been digging into the forums here for about a month and finally pulled the trigger trading my 2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - TRD Sport that I owned for 8 years on the 2022 Passport Trailsport in Sonic Gray. Now officially in the club here.

Basically the story goes like this: Family of 3 about to become a family of 4 and our two cars were a 2014 Corolla and the Tacoma (that I traded). Although I love both of these vehicles neither is very comfortable for moving around a family and all the gear that comes with it.

We are constantly out to the bike trails for biking and hiking, I go on a few camping trips a year, and a yearly family beach trip...so I just was not ready to fully give up the rugged vehicle idea and decided that a passport was the perfect median between family vehicle and the rugged get around that I want.

Big selling points for me were number one the massive cargo space, V6 engine, shorter overall length, and plethora of features that I have been living without in my 2014's. I chose the Trailsport trim because I just liked it...no better reason, figured while I am spending the money get something I like. I does have a few extra features power/heated/memory mirrors, sun shades, and roof rails that I was into as well.

I have on order hitch and harness (dealer will install) no ATF cooler as I have nothing to tow yet, Idlestopper start/stop kill switch, Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless Car Play, black out rear "H" symbol, OEM cargo tray, OEM seat back protectors, OEM Crossbars, Photodon MXH screen protector, LED interior lights, LED High beams, LED reverse lights, and cup holder hero kit.

Open to suggestions on what else to do...somewhat interested in a roof cargo baskets (OEM or Yakima or other?), hitch baskets, running boards, tint on the front windows, Cansporter trashcan hauler. Things I'm not aware of!?

Also, anybody re-route the head unit USB to the center console USB to hide the carlinkit down there?

View attachment 16045
Get the Die Cast running boards, HPD Mud flaps, and Bug deflector (really helps keep dings and chips off your hood.

· Registered
61 Posts
Update:

• All lights are installed and work great.
  • Idlestopper works every time
  • Carlinkit 3.0 works, it is slow...but I like having the wireless apple carplay
  • Cupholder hero kit is ok. I think its a must do, but I wish the quality was better
  • Also added the HPD mudflaps to the list

Some updated photos...

Showing the tint here and the side view with the crossbars and HPD mudflaps:

View attachment 16227

Put the cargo mat and seat back protectors in with strong velcro tape...it works great.

View attachment 16229

Love the photodon MXH screen protector, I got it on first try no issue:

View attachment 16228

Love the blackout H emblem, but its a cumbersome little upgrade...I followed the factory install instructions to disassemble the whole rear hatch from the inside and it was worth it to do it right.

View attachment 16226
What's the Cupholder Hero kit please?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts