Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know it's a Ford, but it looks kinda cool from the outside and best of all:

FORD WAS SMART ENOUGH TO INCLUDE A FULL SIZE SPARE!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Lots of unknowns with the Bronco but there will be a lot of excitement just like there was for the Gladiator. But if it's true that you can get a 2.7 pushing 325/400 torque in a Bronco for say the price of an Elite I find that exciting. I hope that would include a 4 auto mode. This stuff of having transfer cases and not being able to use 4 High on a dry road, I just don't get it .Still, the PP, would be the rational choice for me.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,911 Posts
Ok, I know it's a Ford, but it looks kinda cool from the outside and best of all:

FORD WAS SMART ENOUGH TO INCLUDE A FULL SIZE SPARE!
One of my neighbors got a grey/blue ish one.
I’m torn on liking it.
Grandpa has one of the cool old red and white ones until it rolled down a muddy mountain side on his way to Camp Geronimo.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ok, I know it's a Ford...
That's not necessarily bad. Just because we all love Hondas, doesn't mean that everything else on the road is "B Tier".

I like the fact that you can get it with a 6 speed manual trans.

What I don't like is that they are slow to produce any real volume, and, with all the hype, the day that us regular people get a deal is wayyyyyyy down the road. (Just like the Gladiator originally did.)

:)

·
Super Moderator
2,911 Posts
That's a Bronco Sport. The Sport is built off the escape platform.

Here is the Bronco

Unless that's what your all talking about
Well, that’s certainly much better looking than what my neighbor got!
Very FJ Cruiser looking...

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite Platinum White Pearl, 2008 Pilot EXL (previously)
46 Posts

Here is the Bronco

Here is the Bronco

I went to see a Bronco sport badlands in February. Built off the escape platform, and used to my 2008 Pilot I found it too small to appeal to me. Was roomy inside and some nice features, but still wasn't for me. In the back of my mind I also remember how my 96 explorer deteriorated.
I pick up my 2021 Passport Elite tomorrow!

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ford is smart, they released the baby Bronco first, people get used to and and the prices, then they release that big one, much more capable and much more dinero...!

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
Ford is marketing and building Bronco into a brand, not just a model.
Doing similar marketing with the Mustang . . . ie Mach-E
Others have done likewise, such as RAM.

Note there is NO Ford or Blue-Oval emblems on the grille . . . or steering wheel . . . or glove box . . . or wheel center caps . . .

. . . only a small blue-oval on the tailgate.

·
Super Moderator
2,911 Posts
I could certainly be ok parking this Orange bronco next to my Passport!

·
Super Moderator
2,911 Posts
Wishful thinkin' . . . unless your garage is A-L-O-T deeper than it looks
But an orange Bronco would compliment your Trojan banner 😆
Ok Panda, I will give you that.
I should have known better...🤣🤣

- - That bronco would have to be parked next to my Passport when I can buy them both a 2-3 car and very high ceiling garage!

Reactions: P-A-N-D-A

·
Registered
83 Posts
After 32+ years in QC with GM and then going to work for Ford for five more years (again in Quality) I’d have no reservations about getting the Bronco. I probably would have gotten one instead of the Passport but getting on a list to get one is a step too far. I don’t think it’s better than the Passport, but Ford quality has come a long ways over the last 15-20 years (and I get a discount on Fords).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Till you find out that all of them have over heating problems if u try to off road them
I’d have to disagree with this statement. My experience with Ford’s climate control products never showed that “all of them have over heating problems”. I actually worked as a Quality Manager for a Ford/Visteon plant after retiring from thirty+ years working with GM making climate control products (radiators, heaters, AC systems) and Ford’s products rivaled the best of the Japanese when I left. You may have gotten a bad radiator (statistically it can happen) or you may have used one not intended for the application it was being used in, but they simply don’t have a cooling problem when the vehicle if properly equipped. Note: I also made products for Toyota on joint ventures and did five years in the aftermarket as my “final” job. Ford’s not taking a back seat to anyone in climate control.

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
Till you find out that all of them have over heating problems if u try to off road them
I’d have to disagree with this statement. My experience . . . [my resume] .... when I left. You may have gotten a bad radiator (statistically it can happen) or you may have used one not intended for the application it was being used in, but they simply don’t have a cooling problem when the vehicle if properly equipped.
Perhaps read the article first . . .?

Bronco Sport (an Escape-based crossover) is a cuv, made to compete with other soft-roaders like Compass/Renegade.
While some press media was off-roading on a sandy hill, the Bronco Sport dash displayed "4WD Temporarily Disabled" . . . which means the twin-clutch rear differential temporarily shut off to protect itself from excessive heat and possible damage. After the reporters let the Bronco Sport sit for a few minutes to cool down, the message went away and they continued their off-roading. If you view the hill/trail in the video, it is unlikely that more than 10% of Bronco Sport buyers would actually travel that much off-road. Likewise for Passport owners. Marketing vs reality . . . we like to think we can or will, but there are v-e-r-y few Bronco Sport (or Passport) owners that would actually do so, and that trail is only a small fraction as daring as JonDZ Adventuring . . . and even he has had to stop at times during his overlanding to allow his heavily modified Passport to cool down.

The Bronco (not available until June, 2021) is a different vehicle, different construction, different equipment. It is a body-on-frame suv built to compete with Jeep Wrangler, and designed for greater off-road capabilities than the Sport. And have not read any reports of overheating issues (engine, tranny, or diff) on pre-production Bronco models.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good article. The buying public for the most part thinks all four wheel drives are pretty much the same. In fact, there’s a huge difference between them. All the manufacturers seem to like putting a badge on the back that says “AWD” which most arent, “Four Wheel Drive” which again most aren’t. Ford is getting out of the car business and only building perceived SUV’s, CUV’s, and true Four Wheel Drive vehicles. Buying a unit body constructed car with AWD on the back doesn’t make it a competitor to a true four wheel drive vehicle. The Bronco Sport really isn’t made to do true hard core off-reading....and the vast majority of them will never see anything close to off-reading.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts