Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am considering a ordering 2020 Passport which will have one of its jobs towing a 3000 lb trailer. I have seen some pros and cons on this forum for using this vehicle for this via the search feature. So if I get Adventure Package B which has the hitch along with AWD do I need to order the oil cooler separately? I also have noticed the vehicle has a fairly low payload, is that going to give problems on tongue weight?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally would not purchase this vehicle if I was routinely towing. I love my passport, but there are much better options. The oil cooler is separate, but can be installed by the dealer during sale. The tongue weight should be around 250-350 pounds depending on how close or far the wheels are from the tongue and how much overhang you have on the trailer. I can't find the payload specs for the passport, but I doubt its less than 350 pounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

The crew at car and driver liked the Ridgeline for towing their track cars, but I guess it did not propagate down to the PP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have heard that at 5000 pounds the Ridgeline's towing capabilities are bottom tier. At 3000-3500 its average. I would keep in mind the Ridgeline also has a 6 Speed Honda Engineered transmission. I don't know if I trust this 9 Spd Auto to be as reliable while towing 3000 pounds routinely. This is 100% my opinion though. Good luck picking a vehicle! Its a competitive market out there and sometimes the cross shops in this category vehicle are like comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. I have a 2013 Explorer that my wife, who is for the car is for, loves to tow with. The idea of having two Ex's kind of makes me cringe.

·
Registered
687 Posts
5000 lbs towing capacity with trans cooler installed but you will have to deal with the transmission making unusual noise on the 7-8 shift at moderate speed (45-55). I currently have a case with National Center for Dispute Settlement re. this issue. An arbiter will hear from myself and a rep from Honda. I am requesting a fix for the problem and that Honda release a service bulletin so that others can have whatever fix Honda comes up with. I also want Hinda to reimburse me for the cost of the Honda Care extended warranty because I bought it because I am concerned about the longevity of the transmission due to the noise at that shift point. BTW- tongue weight max is 500 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also want Hinda to reimburse me for the cost of the Honda Care extended warranty because I bought it because I am concerned about the longevity of the transmission due to the noise at that shift point. BTW- tongue weight max is 500 lbs.
Is a powertrain warranty inclusive in the Honda Care extended warranty, or is it separate?

X

·
Registered
687 Posts
Original Powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. Honda Care ext. warranty does cover powertrain according to whatever time and mileage limits were purchased.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think the Passport was really designed to tow much to begin with. Maybe light duty stuff like a jet ski and mounting a bike rack.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
To be honest NO Hondas' are serious about towing. While its' 500# hitch / 5000# pulling is adaquate for many light-weight play toys it won't match a real truck;
(I once Proudly owned an incredible 2011 Ridgeline so I know) - the term Real Truck is fighting words within the Ridgeline community.

But Honda's (when properly loaded) 500#/ 5000 pounds is all that many folks require.
F350 hitch label.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts