Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport AWD EX-L (Adventure-b)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 PP EX-L w/450mi.
Heading out on a road trip to Death Valley CA. Mostly freeway but some bumpy dirt track as well. I would like better tires/wheels so I am looking at a set of 4 used (500 mi.) OEM 2021 Honda Ridgeline wheels with original Firestone DESTINATION LE2 245/60/18 for $850.
Will they work on my 2020 PP EX-L?
Would they need to be installed at a shop or is it DIY?
Would it impact my warrantee?

·
Registered
595 Posts
245/60/18 is perfect... nearly the same diameter as your current 20" wheels and tires. See this thread. If it includes the TPMS sensors, it is "plug and play". If you are capable, remove the original wheels and bolt on the new ones. Torque to 94 ft-lb. The price is a good deal if you like the tires and wheel set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
245/60/18 is perfect... nearly the same diameter as your current 20" wheels and tires. See this thread. If it includes the TPMS sensors, it is "plug and play". If you are capable, remove the original wheels and bolt on the new ones. Torque to 94 ft-lb. The price is a good deal if you like the tires and wheel set.
@DudeCS Looks like TPMS is not included. Is that a deal breaker?

·
Registered
595 Posts
@DudCS Looks like TPMS is not included. Is that a deal breaker?
No, not a necessarily a deal breaker. You will have to transfer the TPMS sensors from your existing wheels or purchase a new set of TPMS sensors (P/N 42753-T6N-E02... about $35 each, plus shipping). A tire installer will be required to break the tire bead seal and install the sensors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a good deal. Not as good of a deal as the $100 I paid for my set of those wheels/tires but still a good deal. The ridge's destinations are OKAY. Certainly better than the PPEXL's 20s and the crap tires that come on them. But, you'd want to upgrade to something with a bit more bite eventually for dirt driving. I say do it though, drive them for a few thousand, then upgrade to true AT tires. When you upgrade go for 255/60/18 to get some more rubber. That way you can use your EXL set for long highway hauls and the Ridge set for adventures like I do.

To answer your other concerns:
No it wont affect warranty. I have 3 sets for my PP and the dealer has seen them all.
Definitely get a fresh TPMS set for the ridge wheels so you can swap back and forth seamlessly.
Swapping out wheel sets is easy if you have a good jack, lug wrench, and torque wrench. Probably 200-250 total for those tools. Dont try to put the tires on the wheels if thats what you mean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.
I ended up getting them for $750. I'm going to get them mounted without the TPMS for now (need to use them on a Trip tomorrow).
On another note: can I use one of the original OEM wheels as a "Full Size" spare?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.
I ended up getting them for $750. I'm going to get them mounted without the TPMS for now (need to use them on a Trip tomorrow).
On another note: can I use one of the original OEM wheels as a "Full Size" spare?
Yeah. It wont fit under the trunk tray though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, Lunar Silver Metallic ,The tires I have on mine are the earlier versions of this tire, You have the new 2021 version with the little side thread. I have the same tires on my 21 Ridgeline. I don't now what kind of off road adventure your planning but I would take off the running boards so they don't get damaged and for more clearance.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Which one makes more sense? 245/65 R17 vs 245/60 R18?
Depends on which you prefer. With with 17" tires, you will have more sidewall, narrower tread, softer ride and less responsive handling. With 18" tires, you will have a less sidewall, wider tread, a firmer ride and more responsive handling. Both tires are nearly the same in diameter/circumference. Tires and wheels may be less expensive for 17" vs 18".
tire comparison.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depends on which you prefer. With with 17" tires, you will have more sidewall, narrower tread, softer ride and less responsive handling. With 18" tires, you will have a less sidewall, wider tread, a firmer ride and more responsive handling. Both tires are nearly the same in diameter/circumference. Tires and wheels may be less expensive for 17" vs 18".
View attachment 10268
Thanks DudeCS. I see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts