Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
If properly equipped. Need a transmission cooler as I understand. The tow option packages do not come with a cooler.
If you order the 5,000 lb tow package from the Dealer, it comes with everything including the cooler.

·
Registered
134 Posts
To tow 5000 pounds a Passport (or Pilot) must be equipped with all-wheel-drive and have the Honda automatic transmission fluid (ATF) cooler installed.
I requested the ATF install since my Passport has the hitch but the service manager asked what I’d be towing. No more than 3000 pounds, a lawnmower, motorcycle, etc., on a trailer. She printed out a data sheet for me and reassured me that I did not need ATF for my limited towing needs. I’m still concerned that I WILL need it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I requested the ATF install since my Passport has the hitch but the service manager asked what I’d be towing. No more than 3000 pounds, a lawnmower, motorcycle, etc., on a trailer. She printed out a data sheet for me and reassured me that I did not need ATF for my limited towing needs. I’m still concerned that I WILL need it.
An AT cooler definitely helps the life longevity of your transmission especially if you do a lot of mountainous driving besides towing heavier loads. Honda says you don’t need it if you tow under 3500 lbs but for piece of mind I would get it installed.

Reactions: 5500 and rls002

·
Registered
97 Posts
An AT cooler definitely helps the life longevity of your transmission especially if you do a lot of mountainous driving besides towing heavier loads. Honda says you don’t need it if you tow under 3500 lbs but for piece of mind I would get it installed.
You have my agreement. Especiallyin places where it gets hot and traffic is stop AND GO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
they should of included it on all from the factory like the ridgeline

Reactions: 5500

·
Registered
2 Posts
The oil cooler should have been included to ensure the claimed tow. There should be a disclaimer in bold letters. i assumed momentarily the unit would tow 5000. I have had the cooler installed. It will help to keep the fluids and parts cooler resisting both wear of parts and breakdown of the fluid. I expect the trans to lasttttttt even without a tow.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A lot of vehicles have a 3500 tow limit on the market. It’s typical of fwd vehicles especially. Has anyone done any research in to those coming with an ATF cooler from the factory?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It costs extra if you have a Touring since the sensor for the kick back door needs to be moved out the the middle of the back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does anybody monitor tranny fluid temps via the OBDII port? Maybe before and after the cooler install?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why would you not go there? No curiosity? Why does Honda offer a PP tranny cooler (in the fine print with an asterisk)? Heat is the devil when it comes to auto trannies. Towing can add a lot of heat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why would you not go there? No curiosity? Why does Honda offer a PP tranny cooler (in the fine print with an asterisk)? Heat is the devil when it comes to auto trannies. Towing can add a lot of heat.
Reply was in response to the individual who was interested in the Cherokee. Historically, at least since 1977, owning a dodge inline 6 van and beyond, Chrysler products have been reliably disappointing as I have read. As far as the Tranny cooler, I had one installed. Honda has to my knowledge not made it clear installing the tow option does not include the cooler. Bottomline the omission of the cooler is a method to keep cost down on one end and a money maker for the dealer. And yes I too recommend the install of a cooler eventowing or not. One vaction to the mountains made by lowland folks is certainly enough reason. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anybody installed an aftermarket tranny cooler?.......Derale, B&M, Hayden, etc. <$50 for the part. Is there a Honda part that gets "sandwiched" between the warmer and tranny?

Does anybody monitor tranny fluid temp to see how well (or not) the Honda tranny warmer works?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fantastic towing capability for a midsize crossover and obviously far more than any other vehicle in this segment. Was not expecting it to match that of the Pilot.
Most midsized SUVs can tow 5000 or more when equipped with tow pkg and v6 awd. Highlander, pathfinder, 4 runner, traverse, acadia, sorento, palisade, telluride, grand cherokee, xc90, atlas. Even the smaller Blazer and Jeep Cherokee (not Grand) can haul 4500. Not sure where you are doing your research.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an older thread, has anyone here pulled say a 4k lb travel trailer on a long trip with the Passport AWD and towing package? I have an EXL and we are looking at smaller trailers but would be using it on longer trips and likely in mountains at times. My other option is buy a Tundra and that's a large expense and would make me get a bigger trailer.

I found another thread now with some additional input, thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this is an older thread, has anyone here pulled say a 4k lb travel trailer on a long trip with the Passport AWD and towing package? I have an EXL and we are looking at smaller trailers but would be using it on longer trips and likely in mountains at times. My other option is buy a Tundra and that's a large expense and would make me get a bigger trailer.

I found another thread now with some additional input, thanks.
If you are planning to tow 4000+ regularly I would get the truck.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts