Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new 2019 Honda Passport will be coming with a 9 speed automatic transmission and a i-Vtec V6 engine that produces 280 horsepower and 262 foot pounds of torque with a 3,500lb tow capacity.
Capture10.JPG

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fantastic towing capability for a midsize crossover and obviously far more than any other vehicle in this segment. Was not expecting it to match that of the Pilot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consumer Reports rate the Pilot and Grand Cherokee the same, with fair reliability. The Passport is new, but Honda/Accura SUV quality ratings have really declined the past few years.

·
Registered
236 Posts
To tow 5000 pounds a Passport (or Pilot) must be equipped with all-wheel-drive and have the Honda automatic transmission fluid (ATF) cooler installed.

·
Registered
489 Posts
To tow 5000 pounds a Passport (or Pilot) must be equipped with all-wheel-drive and have the Honda automatic transmission fluid (ATF) cooler installed.
Gotcha, thank you. Does the cooler need to be ordered or is that a dealer add on. 3500 would most likely work for me but the couple times a year I haul gravel would have to make extra trips

·
Registered
236 Posts
The ATF cooler, trailer hitch, and wiring harness can be purchased from and installed by the dealer. They can also be ordered from discounters (dealers who sell parts and accessories online) and installed DIY.

But the ATF cooler install is a bit tricky and requires a transmission control module software update (for the ZF 9-speed). I've read on the Pilot forum that most owners with the ZF transmission opt to have the dealer install their ATF cooler, even if they install the hitch and wiring harness themselves.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The ATF cooler, trailer hitch, and wiring harness can be purchased from and installed by the dealer. They can also be ordered from discounters (dealers who sell parts and accessories online) and installed DIY.

But the ATF cooler install is a bit tricky and requires a transmission control module software update (for the ZF 9-speed). I've read on the Pilot forum that most owners with the ZF transmission opt to have the dealer install their ATF cooler, even if they install the hitch and wiring harness themselves.
Thanks for the tip(y)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The service department at Honda told me that the Fluid for the 9-speed would cost
30 dollars more than than the 6-speed Pilot. And yes, its more of an issue to have it installed
on the ZF 9-speed. As of 2016, this ATF cooler comes standard on all V6 Highlanders.
If Honda really cared about their costumers, They would make this part of a package
since they brag about the 5000 lbs towing. Its all separate parts, (ATF, Hitch, Wire harness,) with separate dealer installation prices. Costly, for what it is, and compared to other Brands.
What Honda saves on the production line, They screw the person buying their new product.
Honda should have a set price that includes installation when buying a new car from them,
but instead each dealer can set their own price on Accessories. Toyota does it at a port factory
that is on the actual factory window sticker for Accessories like a trailer hitch. Not just a
Dealer added window sticker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can you elaborate a little more on needing an AT control module flash for just the ATF cooler install?

No where in the installation instructions does it mentioning needing this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can you elaborate a little more on needing an AT control module flash for just the ATF cooler install?

No where in the installation instructions does it mentioning needing this.
You're right! At the time of that post I was referencing the ATF cooler installation instructions for a 2016 9-speed Pilot. (2016 Pilot Elite/Touring 9-Speed ATF Cooler Installation Instructions)

The ATF cooler for the Passport has since become available and there is no requirement for a TCM software update noted in the installation procedure. That's good news for anyone capable of doing the install themselves. (2019 Passport ATF Cooler Installation Instructions)

EDIT: After a little more research, I found that the TCM update was only a requirement for 2016 Pilots with the 9-speed. That step was eliminated on the instructions for 2017-2019 Pilots.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for clarifying! (y) Would have hated to bump into a surprise like this one way or another.
Sure. I'm happy you prompted this discovery because I would have let the dealer install this and suffer their prices (and possible screw ups). I will install it myself when the time comes.

·
627 Posts
If or when you install your ATF cooler, I would be interested in your experience.
I’m having an ATF cooler on Wednesday (with my tailgate welcome lights) as I recently learned I will be pulling my bro-in-laws 4100 lbs boat / Elite definitely does not come with it - damn as they aren’t cheap 😂

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’m having an ATF cooler on Wednesday (with my tailgate welcome lights) as I recently learned I will be pulling my bro-in-laws 4100 lbs boat / Elite definitely does not come with it - damn as they aren’t cheap 😂
That's ok. You'll be getting the benefits of boat ownership without the other headaches. :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts