Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,
We recently moved from NC to California. We drove it coast to coast in December and have put about 1000 mile on while here in San Diego. I have been to the SMOG check station and have failed the "EGR &/or VVT System" check three times. I have followed the recommendations by the local Honda dealer and still get the message that ODBII "Not Ready". Specifically: "EGR and/or VVT System Vehicle has not yet completed this test"
Any idea on how to get this resolved??
Thanks
Brad

Rectangle Parallel Font Window Number

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
475 Posts
Has the battery cable been disconnected recently? Has 'someone' recently connected an OBDII scanner to the OBDII port under the dash, and perhaps cleared any codes? And what were those recommendations made by Honda dealer?

The "Not Ready" is a typical message when either battery is disconnected or codes (or no codes) are cleared with a scanner/reader. Vehicle has to go through the emissions 'drive cycle' before OBDII will display Pass. This drive cycle can require up to 200+ miles to complete, including acceleration to 55 mph, braking/deceleration, vehicle turned off and 'parked' for awhile before restarting . . . in other words some 'normal driving' behaviors. Emissions system will go through cycles of preheating O2 sensor, and evaporative operation of fuel system, EGR venting, etc. Many people have posted supposedly quicker ways to achieve 'drive cycle' --- however ordinary driving (NOT continuous highway miles) through at least 1/2 tank of fuel will get you there. Some OBDII scanners like Blue Driver and Scan Gauge II will display when OBDII has completed required drive cycles, as without access to a quality OBDII scanner you are depending on smog check station's scanner.

[EDIT] Federal emissions equipment are warranted by Honda for at least 3-yr, 36,000m, Republic of Cali vehicles have at least 3-yr, 50,000m. And some specific emissions equipment carries 7-yr, 70,000m. See page 17 of your Warranty Information manual

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L Black Copper
57 Posts
You do not have one of those insurance dongles that plugs into the usb port while driving do you. I have seen those cause issues with false codes being stored.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has the battery cable been disconnected recently? Has 'someone' recently connected an OBDII scanner to the OBDII port under the dash, and perhaps cleared any codes? And what were those recommendations made by Honda dealer?

The "Not Ready" is a typical message when either battery is disconnected or codes (or no codes) are cleared with a scanner/reader. Vehicle has to go through the emissions 'drive cycle' before OBDII will display Pass. This drive cycle can require up to 200+ miles to complete, including acceleration to 55 mph, braking/deceleration, vehicle turned off and 'parked' for awhile before restarting . . . in other words some 'normal driving' behaviors. Emissions system will go through cycles of preheating O2 sensor, and evaporative operation of fuel system, EGR venting, etc. Many people have posted supposedly quicker ways to achieve 'drive cycle' --- however ordinary driving (NOT continuous highway miles) through at least 1/2 tank of fuel will get you there. Some OBDII scanners like Blue Driver and Scan Gauge II will display when OBDII has completed required drive cycles, as without access to a quality OBDII scanner you are depending on smog check station's scanner.

[EDIT] Federal emissions equipment are warranted by Honda for at least 3-yr, 36,000m, Republic of Cali vehicles have at least 3-yr, 50,000m. And some specific emissions equipment carries 7-yr, 70,000m. See page 17 of your Warranty Information manual

Thank you for your replies. The vehicle battery has not been disconnected over the last 7 months as we drove it across the country and the only service was an oil change three weeks ago. The SMOG check station I go to uses BlueDriver's smog check to see if all is ready. After the car failed three times I bought the sensor and use the app. My wife drives the car mostly - I only started driving it to get the problem resolved. There have been no funky insurance dongles or anything else used. I did call Honda HQ to get an answer but they weren't very helpful.
I am posting the BlueDriver report and the report from Smog station.

Thanks,
Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is one fix, cliff notes are to run speed up to 65 mph and then reduce speed WITHOUT BRAKES TOUCHED UNTIL BELOW 20 mph and then complete stop. Turn off engine. May have to repeat few times.

youtube.com/watch?v=aujgghRf04I

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
475 Posts
Thank you for your replies. The vehicle battery has not been disconnected over the last 7 months as we drove it across the country and the only service was an oil change three weeks ago. The SMOG check station I go to uses BlueDriver's smog check to see if all is ready. After the car failed three times I bought the sensor and use the app. My wife drives the car mostly - I only started driving it to get the problem resolved. There have been no funky insurance dongles or anything else used. I did call Honda HQ to get an answer but they weren't very helpful.
Your Smog check station printout and the BlueDriver specs are both indicating the same results: Your vehicle has had it's OBDII codes "cleared" recently (within the past 300 or so miles), and vehicle has not been driven through sufficient drive cycles yet to verify emissions system. Again, drive cycle is not simply miles driven, but miles driven under varying conditions. You did not post what the dealership recommended, but I assume they stated to simply drive around more - assuming you just showed them the smog station report. Don't know what "Honda HQ" could suggest that would be different either.

If either VVT solenoids were bad, it would set an OBDII code (both printouts show no current code).
If EGR valve was bad (or disconnected wire), it would set an OBDII code (both printouts show no current code).

[EDIT] You stated recent oil change . . . perhaps the shop that changed the oil also reset your maintenance minder? And perhaps they mistakenly tried to do so via OBDII (clearing codes) instead of via Honda's menu in the oil life screen?

With info you provided it appears more random acts of driving over several days are required.
Good Luck

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just for kicks...find the emissions label that is in the engine compartment (usually on the hood).
Does it have the word "California" anywhere on the label?
My 2019 PP Touring does not.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,748 Posts
And have you been to a different smog station?
I moved here 2x’s with 2 different Honda’s not from CA and never had an issue?

·
Registered
23 Posts
ODBII "Not Ready"
I have a similar problem, my "readiness codes" have not been set yet. I have 2019 Passport Sport AWD with 14000 miles on it. I didn't do Smog Check inspection but found it myself. You can do the same. Without depressing brake pedal, push Start/Stop button twice to light up indicators. Within a couple of seconds most of them will disappear but 'malfunction indicator' lamp will stay on the longest and will flash five times before it goes off. This means that 'readiness codes' have not been set. I followed the suggestions from several times without any luck. Is it the same process that your Honda dealer recommends? Please keep us posted if you find any solution.

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
475 Posts
Great Find, Blurrg!! That is really interesting that Honda provided this method of pre-checking system prior to state mandated inspections.

Doesn't solve BradinUTC's specific concern as to why, but Honda provides a way to verify if emissions status is "READY" without special tools.
(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank everybody for sending along Your suggestions. Thankfully the test ran yesterday and I was able to get the small check completed. I spent about a half an hour doing a combination of the following:

1. Highway driving for about 25 minutes at 60 to 75 miles an hour.
  2. Driving along at 65 on a lightly used highway and doing as somebody recommended, in my foot off the gas not touching the brake and allowing the vehicle to slow down to a stop at the side of the road. Needless to say this would not work on a regular highway.
  3. Driving along at 65 on a lightly used highway and doing as somebody recommended, in my foot off the gas not touching the brake and allowing the vehicle to slow down to a stop at the side of the road. Needless to say this would not work on a regular highway.
  4. I drove along some city streets and shifted the gears up and down using the plus and minus tabs on the steering wheel. This got the engine revving out above I thousand RPM if you times before it auto corrected back to regular drive.

5. Lastly I drove a long city street for about 15 minutes and stop and go traffic and from their checked the blue driver which indicated that all smog test had been passed.

I took it directly to the Smog check station and hand vehicle tested with success.
    I hope this helps with anybody else that has the same frustration that I had trying to get their vehicle to pass a smog test despite the fact it’s only a couple years old.
    Thanks

I hope this helps with anybody else that has the same frustration that I had trying to get their vehicle to pass a smog test despite the fact it’s only a couple years old.
    Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank everybody for sending along Your suggestions. Thankfully the test ran yesterday and I was able to get the small check completed. I spent about a half an hour doing a combination of the following:

2. Driving along at 65 on a lightly used highway and doing as somebody recommended, in my foot off the gas not touching the brake and allowing the vehicle to slow down to a stop at the side of the road. Needless to say this would not work on a regular highway.
  3. Driving along at 65 on a lightly used highway and doing as somebody recommended, in my foot off the gas not touching the brake and allowing the vehicle to slow down to a stop at the side of the road. Needless to say this would not work on a regular highway.
  4. I drove along some city streets and shifted the gears up and down using the plus and minus tabs on the steering wheel. This got the engine revving out above I thousand RPM if you times before it auto corrected back to regular drive.

5. Lastly I drove a long city street for about 15 minutes and stop and go traffic and from their checked the blue driver which indicated that all smog test had been passed.

I took it directly to the Smog check station and hand vehicle tested with success.
    Thanks

Thanks

Brad
Hi Brad. When you were doing that , did you have "eco mode" on or off? Also, did you disable "idle stop"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eco mode was on and idle stop was not disabled.

One thing I did find out in the process with the new pushbutton ignition is to keep your foot off the brake ,press the ignition button so it goes to accessory mode, and wait 25 seconds to see if the engine light flashes five times. If so that usually means there’s a self check that did not work.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Thanks

Thanks

Brad
Oh, man. So glad I found this thread. I'm in the same exact position. We drove our 2020 Touring from NYC to Los Angeles last September, and even with 6K miles logged, I cannot clear my EGR/VVT monitors! I'm also using the BlueDriver dongle and app. Finding a 'lightly used' stretch of highway down here is a bit tricky, but I managed to find one uphill exit where I can slow down from 55 to 20 without touching the breaks. I'm going to keep driving per your suggestions and the manual before I see if there's an actual problem with the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you :)
Were you finally able to clear your monitors? Did you do anything differently than what BradinUTC posted or the manual mentions? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cross country driving
Thank you :)
Oh, man. So glad I found this thread. I'm in the same exact position. We drove our 2020 Touring from NYC to Los Angeles last September, and even with 6K miles logged, I cannot clear my EGR/VVT monitors! I'm also using the BlueDriver dongle and app. Finding a 'lightly used' stretch of highway down here is a bit tricky, but I managed to find one uphill exit where I can slow down from 55 to 20 without touching the breaks. I'm going to keep driving per your suggestions and the manual before I see if there's an actual problem with the car.
I hope you get the problem resolved. As mentioned, it wasn’t easy to figure out what did the trick but it seemed to work. When I did the 60 to 0, I pulled over the shoulder to slow down without disturbing traffic. The sport mode to change gears and rpm seem a bit much but it seemed the only way to get the rpms up.
Please post when you have a win.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Were you finally able to clear your monitors? Did you do anything differently than what BradinUTC posted or the manual mentions? Thanks!
Unfortunately, no. I followed all recommendations that I was able to find. Tried it for three days in a row with no luck so I gave up for now. I don't want to go to the dealer yet, they always screw up something. Were you able to solve the problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven’t yet, either. I ran another attempt last night, and found a nice stretch of road where I could do the 60 to stop, but it still didn’t work. I checked BlueDriver this morning and saw that I had a few minor-looking codes. I cleared them out thinking this is what might be causing the test to not complete. I’ll give it another shot this weekend.

View attachment 11173 View attachment 11173

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drove another few hundred miles but still haven't been able to clear the EGR test (wtf, lol). So I decided to bring it to the dealer to address the MOST issue (they're going to replace with updated connectors) and to run a check of the emissions sensors. They mentioned manually resetting all the tests, so regardless, looks like I'll have to drive another few hundred miles again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts