Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Passport AWD, looking for suggestions on snow tires. I will take them off and store them during the non-winter months. Anyone have great success/luck with a certain brand/model snow tire?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I always recommend the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 they have a very aggressive tread pattern for a winter tire and they perform great in deep snow. I have sold loads of them to customers and have never had any complaints. The only thing you have to me mindful of is the tires compound is on the softer side, so you have to make sure you are taking them off as soon as the weather gets above 7 degrees Celsius otherwise they will wear out fairly quickly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I always recommend the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 they have a very aggressive tread pattern for a winter tire and they perform great in deep snow. I have sold loads of them to customers and have never had any complaints. The only thing you have to me mindful of is the tires compound is on the softer side, so you have to make sure you are taking them off as soon as the weather gets above 7 degrees Celsius otherwise they will wear out fairly quickly.
My set of Blizzaks wore not "fairly quickly" but very quickly here in Denver. Rarely does it remain below
45 degrees fahrenheit (7 degrees celsius) after a snow storm in Denver. My Blizzaks were pretty much shot going into 2nd winter. At least in my situation....I found the summer to winter tire game to be expensive and a pain in the neck.
I've been doing just fine with quality all season's on my all wheel drive vehicles. I might think differently if the roads were snow covered throughout the winter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My set of Blizzaks wore not "fairly quickly" but very quickly here in Denver. Rarely does it remain below
45 degrees fahrenheit (7 degrees celsius) after a snow storm in Denver. My Blizzaks were pretty much shot going into 2nd winter. At least in my situation....I found the summer to winter tire game to be expensive and a pain in the neck.
I've been doing just fine with quality all season's on my all wheel drive vehicles. I might think differently if the roads were snow covered throughout the winter.
Yeah if you live in a climate like @Pass/Denv described then i would definitely stay away from The Blizzaks. I live in Canada so generally once its goes below 7 degrees it stays that way until spring, which is why i personally prefer these tires. If your climate is a bit warmer then i would also look into the Michelin X-ice and snow, Pirelli Scorpion Winter or Continental Viking contact 7's. Also another option if you didnt want to buy another set of rims would be to go with a set of All Weather tires, which is a hybrid of an all season and a winter tire. Michelin makes a good set called the Crossclimate 2's.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah if you live in a climate like @Pass/Denv described then i would definitely stay away from The Blizzaks. I live in Canada so generally once its goes below 7 degrees it stays that way until spring, which is why i personally prefer these tires. If your climate is a bit warmer then i would also look into the Michelin X-ice and snow, Pirelli Scorpion Winter or Continental Viking contact 7's. Also another option if you didnt want to buy another set of rims would be to go with a set of All Weather tires, which is a hybrid of an all season and a winter tire. Michelin makes a good set called the Crossclimate 2's.
Sometimes I wished it would stay below 45 degrees (your 7c) here in Denver in winter time. We get real wild temperature and weather swings here in Denver. Last Sept. 6, 2020 it hit 93 degrees (your 34c). That evening the snow began and by the next evening, Sept 7 the west Denver suburbs had 3 inches on the ground. Quite a thermal shock.
Thanks for the input on the Crossclimate 2's. I'll check them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will research these brands, thank you as I had a fire fighter friend suggest Blizzaks, so wanted something to compare with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I purchased ATV General Grappers for snow tires. Have not put them on yet. I am looking at November 1st. Also some people in this forum keep these tires on all year round. Plus they look bad ass and weigh 50 pounds each. Tire rack has them in stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts