Honda Passport Forum banner

2 questions: Cigarette lighter power limit, and firewall pass through

3417 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CMW
Trying to install my ham radio, and while I prefer to go through the firewall, I can't find a way through, so wondering if anyone has. I read the running board install instructions someone recommended, but didn't see where it talked about a pass through.

1) Does anyone know how to get to the firewall pass through in the new Passports? Looks like it's behind the glove box, but I'm not sure how to get back there.

2) Does anyone know what amp fuse the cigarette power plugs are? That's my second less preferred option. My radio is max 50w, but I doubt I'll run it at full power often. Usually 20-25w.

Thank you
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
You're awesome, thank you!
Lift the passenger's floor mat & carpet to find the pass-thru, for the running board lights.
Reactions: 2
Unfortunately I’m having no luck. I found the running board grommet, but don’t see an easy way to fish a wire from there all the way into the engine bay.
I removed the kick panel as mentioned in another post to try and follow the hood latch cable, but for the life of me don’t see where it goes in or out of the firewall on either side.

I’ve searched both the Ridgeline forums and the Pilot forums, and coming up dry. This is the hardest vehicle by far I’ve owned to find a way to run a wire through.

My only other choice is to pay an audio shop to figure it out, but what a pain. C’mon Honda, sigh.
Unfortunately I’m having no luck. I found the running board grommet, but don’t see an easy way to fish a wire from there all the way into the engine bay.
I removed the kick panel as mentioned in another post to try and follow the hood latch cable, but for the life of me don’t see where it goes in or out of the firewall on either side.

I’ve searched both the Ridgeline forums and the Pilot forums, and coming up dry. This is the hardest vehicle by far I’ve owned to find a way to run a wire through.

My only other choice is to pay an audio shop to figure it out, but what a pain. C’mon Honda, sigh.
REALM, the cable release for the hood doesn't come through the firewall. It's between the outer and inner fender. Follow the cable from the hood latch back towards the driver's side fender. This is how I ran the ground switch wiring for my VCM tuner. In the attached pic you can see where I added the split casing to protect the wire which goes back behind the air filter case and battery to the tuner.
Hood Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle
See less See more
Reactions: 3
@Gray_Beard Thank you! So am I understanding correctly that you fished a wire from the driver’s footwell hood latch grommet, until you could reach and grab it from the driver’s fender space under the hood? I can’t see down in that fender space, so wasn’t 100% sure.
Reactions: 1
Try taking off a front tire and removing the plastic inner fender liner.
Great info guys

Also, many times throughout my long life, I have simply taped a wire to a large sewing needle and poked it through rubber boots in the firewall. Works great every time.
@Gray_Beard Thank you! So am I understanding correctly that you fished a wire from the driver’s footwell hood latch grommet, until you could reach and grab it from the driver’s fender space under the hood? I can’t see down in that fender space, so wasn’t 100% sure.
You are correct with your assessment, I used a claw grabber tool and a flash light to catch the end of the wire. Once I had the wire cut to lenght and fitted to where I needed it I placeed a cable tie around the wire and the hood release cable loosely at the top and then slide it down as far as I could before sinching it tight to the cable release so it wouldn't raddle against the fender.
Reactions: 3
Trying to install my ham radio, and while I prefer to go through the firewall, I can't find a way through, so wondering if anyone has. I read the running board install instructions someone recommended, but didn't see where it talked about a pass through.

1) Does anyone know how to get to the firewall pass through in the new Passports? Looks like it's behind the glove box, but I'm not sure how to get back there.

2) Does anyone know what amp fuse the cigarette power plugs are? That's my second less preferred option. My radio is max 50w, but I doubt I'll run it at full power often. Usually 20-25w.

Thank you
I installed my trailer wiring harness yesterday. And was thinking of picking
off 12 volts to use on my ham radio? I have Icom IC-2730 dual band mobile.
Any thoughts on using the wiring harness??
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.