Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just the gear head in me, not everybody is like you. I look at it this way.......a hood is an inspection hatch complete with a latch and hinges for easy lifting/opening. They have been standard on cars for quite some time now. Checking/maintaining proper fluid levels has always been extremely important to me. That's the way I was taught.

When simply checking the dipstick, why would you need an oil analysis to see if the oil in ones PP was darkening a little sooner than what you noticed in previous cars? Unless, of course you've never raised a hood.

Hopefully this thread can be turned around with folks simply answering the question: When checking the oil level, does the oil seem to turn a little darker sooner than on ones previous vehicles? It's simply a curiosity question (on my part) that should have a simple yes/no answer without a lot of testosterone unnecessarily thrown in.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
why would you need an oil analysis
To satisfy your obvious concerns about its condition.

My lack of concern (about even checking) is based on many years of checking and finding it is always fine.
Gasoline and an occassional tire pressure top off are about all I ever do anymore. Bad habit I agree, but I feel lucky.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When checking your PP oil level, does the oil (on the dipstick) seem to be a little darker sooner than on your previous vehicles? Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When checking your PP oil level, does the oil (on the dipstick) seem to be a little darker sooner than on your previous vehicles? Thanks.
Oil color (darkness) has very little to do with remaining oil life. This is especially true on the factory fill where the oil will be darker after a few minutes of running as the assembly lube is washed away from the bearing surfaces and mixed with oil in the pan. Even in subsequent changes, darker oil does not really correlate to the actual condition of the oil. Use the Maintenance Minder or change it at a set interval, but know that you’ll have to keep tabs on the other maintenance items if you reset it early.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oil color (darkness) has very little to do with remaining oil life. This is especially true on the factory fill where the oil will be darker after a few minutes of running as the assembly lube is washed away from the bearing surfaces and mixed with oil in the pan. Even in subsequent changes, darker oil does not really correlate to the actual condition of the oil. Use the Maintenance Minder or change it at a set interval, but know that you’ll have to keep tabs on the other maintenance items if you reset it early.
See post #29. The question doesn’t have anything to do with oil life, factory fill, oil condition or the MM. I take it you have NOT noticed the oil darkening a little sooner in your PP than say a previous vehicle or possibly a little older current vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
See post #29. The question doesn’t have anything to do with oil life, factory fill, oil condition or the MM. I take it you have NOT noticed the oil darkening a little sooner in your PP than say a previous vehicle or possibly a little older current vehicle.
I don't actually own a PP yet, but I do have a 2017 Accord V6 with almost the same engine, just port injected instead of DI. I would say the oil darkened a bit faster on the factory fill for sure. Subsequent changes, hard to say. Possibly a little darker at similar mileage, but all my past cars have be 4-cylinders, so maybe that has something to do with it. What previous cars of yours are you comparing? Also, why beyond general curiosity, are you so concerned with how soon the oil color darkens?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't actually own a PP yet, but I do have a 2017 Accord V6 with almost the same engine, just port injected instead of DI. I would say the oil darkened a bit faster on the factory fill for sure. Subsequent changes, hard to say. Possibly a little darker at similar mileage, but all my past cars have be 4-cylinders, so maybe that has something to do with it. What previous cars of yours are you comparing? Also, why beyond general curiosity, are you so concerned with how soon the oil color darkens?
Possibly a little darker with PI or DI?

I'm not concerned at all about the color of the oil (I go by the MM on our '17 CRV and presume the MM does not go by color, LOL). Just curious as to whether or not others have noticed the oil darkening a little sooner than on some of their previous vehicles.

Back in the mid/late '80s just about manufacturer had switched to one form or fashion of EFI and thats when I noticed oil on the dipstick staying light colored way longer than carbureted engines. Heck, our '09 RAV4 3.5L V6 at 5K miles on the oil, the dipstick can be somewhat tricky to read due to how clear/light colored the oil still is. The color of the oil in our '17 CRV just seems a little darker sooner than our RAV4.

So again, I was just curious if peeps were noticing in their PP, the oil darkening a little sooner than on maybe their slightly older vehicles.

Thanks for you post.....yours and darksky's (post #39) are the only meaningful/responsible posts since I asked the question. No dissertation, bloviating or name calling......how refreshing.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
Annually I service both my garden tractor and my whole house generator. My observations:

Tractor (gasoline fueled) - both oil and plugs are black
GenSet (propane fueled) - both oil and plugs are clean.

Both log about 40 hours of annual use.

·
Registered
383 Posts
How many miles did your passport have on it before your first oil change. Also, how many months did you wait?
Thanks!
Can't say for the passport since it only has 1,600 miles on it. The MM says I have 80% oil life. On the 2013 Honda Pilot that I traded in that had that had the 3.5-liter V-6 that produced 250 hp, my first oil change was at about 7,100 miles. That was probably about 50/50 city and road driving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
My maintenance minder A1 came on at 5000 miles. First oil change and tire rotation was today. I don't put many miles on so it took a while for the A1.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I’m guessing that most if not all of those short trips are in town driving. The higher amount of highway driving you do the longer between oil changes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, a little.

I’ve got 3600 miles or so and have checked it twice (had several high strung Honda 4 bangers that drank oil) and I’d say it is a little darker than expected. BUT, I do drive it like a sports car a lot and that doesn’t help. Love this v6/tranny combo!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts