Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles did your passport have on it before your first oil change. Also, how many months did you wait?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Purchased my Passport on April 13, first oil change on September 13.
Mileage was at 4399 and 40% oil life.

I could have gone a little longer, but still had one more drive from HB to Ventura, Burbank then San Jose and back and didn’t want to get stuck on time and miles without being close to my Honda shop. And I wanted them to check my reverse clunk noise (they still couldn’t find anything).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I don't put many miles on. I have 3000 on now and 4.5 months. Thinking of getting a change soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Purchased mine Feb. 26,2019 - just had my first oil change at 8600 miles on Oct. 19. It probably should have been done earlier as it was the first oil change but I waited until the A1 alert showed (just to prove to myself that the alert would show). BTW, that was 15% oil life left.

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Thank you. I don't put many miles on. I have 3000 on now and 4.5 months. Thinking of getting a change soon.
what is your oil life %?

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
At one time I religiously changed oil at 3,000 miles, a tremendous chore with 5 different vehicles. As my kids grew up and moved away I gave them their cars and those numbers went down (now steady at 3, both my bride and my daily driver, plus the dually for pulling our 5th wheel).

Starting with my 2011 Ridgeline I also started using the maintenance minder - and have had no problems (I wait for the 10% life to come on).
ONCE (only) it was at 11-12K miles, but 9K is common for my style of driving.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just did first change at 3,600 miles (40% life left) because we are cruisin USA. You’ll be fine just going off the maintenance minder unless you plan on embarking on a long trip, then you may want to take that into consideration

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
We've made several long drives (prior 2015 Ody) where the light came on while out of state; we simply pulled into an oil change place and had it performed. Once we returned home I went back to the dealer and had the additional services completed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go by the Maintenance Minder, it tracks your driving habits, everyone will have a different distance schedule. When it reports 5% oil life its time. Don't worry about mileage, Honda uses synthetic oil which lasts much longer. As for planning for a long trip such as 3,600 miles, if you have navigation, just select Honda dealer button during the trip, you probably will pass 30 to 40 Honda/Acura dealers not far off your route. Its just stopping your adventure to get it done.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We've made several long drives (prior 2015 Ody) where the light came on while out of state; we simply pulled into an oil change place and had it performed. Once we returned home I went back to the dealer and had the additional services completed.
Go by the Maintenance Minder, it tracks your driving habits, everyone will have a different distance schedule. When it reports 5% oil life its time. Don't worry about mileage, Honda uses synthetic oil which lasts much longer. As for planning for a long trip such as 3,600 miles, if you have navigation, just select Honda dealer button during the trip, you probably will pass 30 to 40 Honda/Acura dealers not far off your route. Its just stopping your adventure to get it done.
Im not as trusting as you guys, oil filter could be put on too loose, drain plug gasket not installed or worn and leaking, all the while you hop on interstate none the wiser just leaking oil out of your engine. I prefer it being done prior to a trip so if there is an issue it can be addressed. Although I’m not a very trusting person and I’m pretty sure the government is out to get me :oops:

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
If you were to have a major leak you wouldn't make it home before the low oil light came on.
And (at 70-75 mph) if it were to leak a single drop per mile you still could go a very long ways and be no wiser.

Don't worry, be happy!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im not as trusting as you guys, oil filter could be put on too loose, drain plug gasket not installed or worn and leaking, all the while you hop on interstate none the wiser just leaking oil out of your engine. I prefer it being done prior to a trip so if there is an issue it can be addressed. Although I’m not a very trusting person and I’m pretty sure the government is out to get me :oops:
My son had oil change on his wife's Pilot at dealer in June and in September my wife and I had to baby sit. After his wife left for work I noticed a bunch of stains in the driveway and when she returned home I found the drain plug was loose (I could turn it by hand). Oil level checked okay (probably because they overfilled / dealer did that with my last pilot). We figured they didn't notice the stains because the pilot was always parked on top of it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My son had oil change on his wife's Pilot at dealer in June and in September my wife and I had to baby sit. After his wife left for work I noticed a bunch of stains in the driveway and when she returned home I found the drain plug was loose (I could turn it by hand). Oil level checked okay (probably because they overfilled / dealer did that with my last pilot). We figured they didn't notice the stains because the pilot was always parked on top of it.
Yeah I’ve seen things like this at my shop multiple times, usually by the same mistake prone guy or a new guy. The service techs at dealerships that do oil changes are usually young, new, and inexperienced (When I went through automotive school I had 4 guys in my class working for Honda as lube techs.) there’s a reason they’re doing oil changes. Technicians work fast in dealerships, because that’s how they make more money, this can lead to mistakes being made. If I’m traveling on vacation, I don’t wanna have to deal with that.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
It doesn't matter where you take you car, mistakes can happen. The important thing is that they make it right.

Many years ago I had an 89 Accord (with many years of work orders) - my local Walmart exclusively changed its oil every 3,000 miles.
Then one day they said the plug was stripped; as oversized plugs didn't fix it Walmart eventually paid for a new pan.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah I’ve seen things like this at my shop multiple times, usually by the same mistake prone guy or a new guy. The service techs at dealerships that do oil changes are usually young, new, and inexperienced (When I went through automotive school I had 4 guys in my class working for Honda as lube techs.) there’s a reason they’re doing oil changes. Technicians work fast in dealerships, because that’s how they make more money, this can lead to mistakes being made. If I’m traveling on vacation, I don’t wanna have to deal with that.
It is the least expensive maintenance item performed on your vehicle and if not done properly can cause the most damage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It doesn't matter where you take you car, mistakes can happen. The important thing is that they make it right.

Many years ago I had an 89 Accord (with many years of work orders) - my local Walmart exclusively changed its oil every 3,000 miles.
Then one day they said the plug was stripped; as oversized plugs didn't fix it Walmart eventually paid for a new pan.
How many miles when plug stripped? Sounds like they were over tightening it. Glad to hear Walmart covered it. My wife had a 92 Accord and I did oil changes every 3000 miles. Sold it with 150000 miles and no oil pan problems.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
How many miles when plug stripped? Sounds like they were over tightening it. Glad to hear Walmart covered it. My wife had a 92 Accord and I did oil changes every 3000 miles. Sold it with 150000 miles and no oil pan problems.
Yes the opposite of too loose; as this was 20-25 years past I don't remember the mileage.
A Black 89 LxI (fuel injected) 5 speed, low to the ground wearing sticky tires; she was lots of fun. Unfortunately she preceded digital cameras and I have no pics of her.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts