Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Passport has 5200 miles. On my dash "Maintenance" display it shows A1 maintenance is due but my oil percentage is still 50%. Not sure if I should go by the A1 message or wait for the percentage to come down, I checked the oil and it is pretty dark already.
Also is there supposed to be an audible or any type of blinking display that comes up when maintenance is due or do you have to periodically check the dash "Maintenance" display.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The maintenance display is telling you what service will be coming up. The Maintenance Minder will flash at you at 15%, telling you its shortly time to change the oil. No need to change at 50%.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I heard that the first maintenance for the cars should be done at 5,000 miles. Does your car already show maintenance required?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Call the dealership, ask for Service and tell them what you are seeing. They might be able to explain what the auto is trying to tell you. Or at least they should be able to tell you. "That's normal" won't cut it, LOL. ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I heard that the first maintenance for the cars should be done at 5,000 miles. Does your car already show maintenance required?
Where did you "hear" this information and was it specifically for the 2019 Honda Passport?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Scooter1 is right. If you navigate to the maintenance screen, the MM will show upcoming maintenance and remaining oil life. That screen is always accessible, and will always show remaining oil life and what services will be due at the same time as the oil/oil & filter change. You'll start seeing notices that maintenance will be due soon starting at 15%.

On a side note, it's pretty well proven that oil color is not a reliable indication of oil condition, so don't go by that at all. Just follow the Maintenance Minder, even for the first oil change, and you'll be fine. If you want to change it early, just be aware that doing so and resetting the MM early can thro off the interval calculation for other services later on.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,548 Posts
Scooter1 is right. If you navigate to the maintenance screen, the MM will show upcoming maintenance and remaining oil life. That screen is always accessible, and will always show remaining oil life and what services will be due at the same time as the oil/oil & filter change. You'll start seeing notices that maintenance will be due soon starting at 15%.

On a side note, it's pretty well proven that oil color is not a reliable indication of oil condition, so don't go by that at all. Just follow the Maintenance Minder, even for the first oil change, and you'll be fine. If you want to change it early, just be aware that doing so and resetting the MM early can thro off the interval calculation for other services later on.
Interesting. Btw - what’s the MM screen? I haven’t come across that or the maintenance screen?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Interesting. Btw - what’s the MM screen? I haven’t come across that or the maintenance screen?
Click the Home button on the steering wheel. Scroll down to Maintenance, select Oil Life (I think, mine is in the shop right now) and it will show you the percentage oil life remaining and the code for the next service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where did you "hear" this information and was it specifically for the 2019 Honda Passport?
I have heard that all new cars should have their first oil change after 5,000 miles, but It doesn't say anything in the manual. I'm at 4k already, and my oil life is still around 60%. Has anyone driven their Passport enough to actually get a maintenance light to pop up?

·
Registered
168 Posts
On a couple new cars, I went from 8200-8900 miles before MM came on. I was told or at least get it changed once a year. I think using full synthetic oil makes it ok?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm at 2800 and 50% oil life. Mostly city driving.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On a couple new cars, I went from 8200-8900 miles before MM came on. I was told or at least get it changed once a year. I think using full synthetic oil makes it ok?
That’s likely one factor. My 2012 Pilot used synthetic oil, and it was at least 7k miles between oil changes. Never had a problem, and I put over 140k miles on that vehicle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think the algorithms of the Honda MM are pretty good. My Accord goes 8-9000 miles on mostly highway miles. 6-7000 on mostly city driving. Our PP is at 40% with 5700 miles, mostly highway. Easiest way to keep track. Change it when the wrench ? light comes on at 15%. Once a year is reasonable too if your miles aren't high.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My notification appeared a week ago, at 8k miles. I still had 10% oil life, but took a long road trip later in the week and got it changed. The service manager said the next one will be a bit more involved, as Honda recommends changing the differential fluid fairly early in an AWD car’s life cycle compared to other vehicles. Good news, though, is transmission fluid change is a bit later than some other vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
645 Posts
The service manager said the next one will be a bit more involved, as Honda recommends changing the differential fluid fairly early in an AWD car’s life cycle compared to other vehicles. Good news, though, is transmission fluid change is a bit later than some other vehicles.
Maintenance Minder schedule for transmission fluid change is sub-code 3 and differential fluid change is sub-code 6... under normal driving conditions.

For the differential fluid, under severe condtions...

*5: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of
mechanical (Shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than
recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions,
have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles (12,000 km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts