Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They both have exact same engine and transmission, and Pilot is obviously bigger and heavier. Is Passport's 20" wheel/tire is the reason? Ridgeline's AWD 18/25/21 has slightly better number in HWY and it's a pickup truck with same 245 width tires! I have to see the Passport in person but all the photos of Passport's 20" wheel/tire is not positive for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The 19/24/21 MPG numbers are off of a Passport Elite AWD.

The difference is in the highway mpg, and highway mpg is all about aerodynamics.

The Passport is taller (+2" ride height) and the touring/elite versions come with roof rails by default.

The top end Pilot also has 20" wheels but they are 245 width and the Passport is 265 width which may also contribute.

The Passport Sport and EX-L have the 245 width tires and no roof rails, so they may get higher ratings. Also the non-AWD versions should get higher ratings just like the front wheel drive Pilot trims.

There are probably plenty of people out there with a Pilot who have added on roof rails, cross bars, storage boxes, wind deflectors, splash guards, etc. that have similar or worse MPG no matter what their original factory sticker says.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 19/24/21 MPG numbers are off of a Passport Elite AWD.

The difference is in the highway mpg, and highway mpg is all about aerodynamics.

The Passport is taller (+2" ride height) and the touring/elite versions come with roof rails by default.

The top end Pilot also has 20" wheels but they are 245 width and the Passport is 265 width which may also contribute.

The Passport Sport and EX-L have the 245 width tires and no roof rails, so they may get higher ratings. Also the non-AWD versions should get higher ratings just like the front wheel drive Pilot trims.

There are probably plenty of people out there with a Pilot who have added on roof rails, cross bars, storage boxes, wind deflectors, splash guards, etc. that have similar or worse MPG no matter what their original factory sticker says.
I'm not an EPA expert but I highly doubt that they have the will and resources to test every vehicles per their trim level and options. I think they'll just test based on the engine/transmission/2WD/4WD configuration. In other words, I highly doubt that the Elite trim's roof rack and other added accessories have any impact on the Elite's EPA numbers. In my opinion, Passport will have only two EPA numbers; one for 2WD and another for AWD, that's it. The 19/24/21 is for the AWD and 2WD numbers will be like 20/25/22, my guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still much better than 4Runner
I know. My sensible side wants the new Passport but I still like 4runner, especially TRD Pro, for its old school simplicity charm. It has no modern electronic gadgets that can break down and still uses a mechanical key that you turn to start engine. 4runner already has one of the highest resale value among all vehicles, and this current generation could hold its value even higher in years to come as it will be the last of its kind for sure. And considering its decade old 4.0 liter 6-cylinder engine, only 5-speed, 4800 lbs, pure mechanical 4x4 transfer, and huge off-road wheels, its 17/20/18 mileage is not that bad at all. One thing is sure. The new Passport will be a great seller for Honda if they don’t screw up with the pricing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In reality, compared to the pilot and other cars with the 9 speed. the smaller Passport AWD
should get 19/27 for what it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As I said on anther thread...
What good is the plagued 9 speed that still has shifting issues if it only gets 19/24?
The AWD EX and EX-L Pilots with the 18s, and the Honda made 6 speed, seems like a wise choice.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As I said on anther thread...
What good is the plagued 9 speed that still has shifting issues if it only gets 19/24?
The AWD EX and EX-L Pilots with the 18s, and the Honda made 6 speed, seems like a wise choice.
Honda has fixed the 9 spd. Issues with the refreshed 2019 Pilot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think its better for us to wait on real world fuel economy numbers anyways. Most people will probably be downsizing the rims and removing the factory roof rails.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah I don't think most people are going to care about wheel size or give a damn about roof rails. These are Honda buyers you are talking about. Look at the Pilot sales with 20" rims. Passport is going to sell like hotcakes no matter what wheels they include.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Like what i've done in the pricing thread, here's a quick break down of all EPA mileage ratings I gathered from a few publications for anyone that wants a clean and concise list.

2019 Honda Passport Gas Mileage/MPG Rating List
  • Passport Sport (2WD) - 20 / 25 / 22
  • Passport Sport (AWD) - 19 / 24 / 21
  • Passport EX-L (2WD) - 20 / 25 / 22
  • Passport EX-L (AWD) - 19 / 24 / 21
  • Passport Touring (2WD) - 20 / 25 / 22
  • Passport Touring (AWD) - 19 / 24 / 21
  • Passport Elite (AWD) - 19 / 24 / 21

·
977 Posts
I think Confucius once said "It is, what it is" and if he didn't he should of...

Well the "Passport is, what it is" too!

If you want something to do some extreme off-roading, there is NOTHING in the Honda line for you, get a Tacoma Off-Road 4WD and you will be set!

If you want an awesome and reliable SUV for city driving, I strongly suggest a RX350, we bought a "last year's model" for my wife (when the new models we already on the lot) and got $7k off of the $49k MSRP!

But if you are wanting a reliable SUV to drive mostly in the city, including snow and can also go on somewhat smooth dirt roads, then the Passport will fit the bill, as "that is, what it is"...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I really agree with your assessment. Could drive dirt roads or some minor goat trial to a cabin or fishing spot. If you need real off road capability I think you should look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts