Honda Passport Forum banner

17" wheel with larger than 30.5 tire

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  schwag 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just ordered a set of 17x8.5 wheels for my passport and while the wheels are being shipped I have some time to think about tire options. Was wondering if anyone is successfully running a slightly larger than 30.5 tire on a 17" wheel, possibly a 265/65r17, 255/70r17 or even a 265/70r17? I know that once you pass 30.5" diameter tire on the Passport you would need to start modifying the wheel well. Was thinking if it was possible to avoid any cutting and instead use a heat gun to soften the plastic fender liner and push it back some and also use a hammer to tap back any metal trim that would get in the way? Would that work? Any input & pictures would be great!

#2 ·
There are very few people that have modified wheel wells on the Passport.

You might already be aware, but there are several more variables than wheel size and specified tire diameter. Total diameter after tread is considered, and placement in the wheel well based upon width, offset, etc must also be factored. It is hard to estimate exactly how large tires of various designs on various wheels with different offsets will interact with the wheel well. It may need to be measured installed. There are a lot of variable setups even in 17" x 8.5 size with 30.5" tire diameter on paper. An aggressive tread of the same size as a highway tire may have a larger diameter by almost an inch (I tested options in tire shop to prove this). The well liners are right up against the metal in places and not in others. So you might get some minimal clearance gain messing with this. Parts of the actual wheel well seem to me like they would be really tough to move by hammering, but I am not a mechanic and have never attempted such.

With very limited clearance, you will not have room for suspension travel without rubbing or worse. I would not expect slightly moving the well back sufficient to accomplish restoring significant clearance, which is why I think the few people serious about larger tires have cut the wells.

At a certain point of tire size increase you are going to alter handling and factory suspension (scrub radius, etc) beyond intended design range. I have no idea what that point is for the Passport, but make sure you are comfortable with the potential for several MPH speedometer mismatch (or retrain your computer), and possibility for different handling and increased suspension wear.

#3 ·
Thank you for your input storm303! I forgot to mention I will be running a 2" Aerogenics leveling kit in combination with the new tire set up. New wheels will be 17x8.5 +34 offset. I have seen another passport owner run these same wheels with 265/65r17 Falken wildpeak at3w. Im wondering if I can squeeze in the same at3w tire but 265/70r17. That would be going from a 30.6" diameter to a 31.7" diameter according to the spec sheet on Falkens website

#4 ·
ASean88 you may find this entertaining. Good luck in your adventure!

JonZ Tallest Tire

#7 · (Edited)
245/70R17 Wildpeaks with 2 inch with Aerogenics lift used to rub enough that a friend changed them to 245/65R17.

Let us know how 265/65R17 will treat you. I looked up the size and it's 30.6 diameter same as 245/70R17 and plus the tire is wider, so I am 98% sure it will rub at full lock. It's best if you go to a shop like a Discount Tire that will let you try the tire first. Unless you are ok with a little rub.

245/65R17 is definitely safe, 255/65R17 might be ok ( Roll Call for 17"/18" Wheels & Tires ). Keep in mind that Wildpeaks tire is blocky, almost square. In any case, do post your results

#17 ·
I think the No-LO Design owner who makes underbody protection for Honda offroaders has AT tires in that size. He is lifted and I am pretty sure he had to cut his firewall. You can fit that size with the 2-3 inch lift and axle relocation kit from Traxda without rubbing.

Keep in mind that you are looking most likely at 2+ inch tires size, which will affect how your transmission shifts, since there is no way to calibrate the computer to adjust for the speed difference. Most likely not a big deal since you are doing it for offroading, so MPGs are the least of your concerns;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.