Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer more rubber between my rims and the asphalt (at the expense of sharper cornering) because of bone jarring pot holes.

My MDX has a 5 x 120 lug pattern, as does my PP Touring AWD.
I have 17" aftermarket rims on my 2007 MDX with tires 235/65 x 17. They are 29.1" tall, 9.5" fat, and have a tread width of 7.5"
My OEM 18" MDX Sport rims are in storage, with tires 255/55 x 18. They are 29" tall, 10.4" fat, and have a tread width of 8.6"

My 2019 PP has 20" rims, with tires 265/45 x 20. They are 29.3" tall , 10.5" fat, and have a tread width of 8.5"

All of the measurements line up, but the 17" rims might not clear my PP suspension. Just for kicks, I will put the 17" rims & tires on my PP and see if the rims or tires rub.

My 18" rims will be fine on the PP, because many overlanders are using 18" rims and 30.5" tall tires and a 2" lift kit, but I'll buy snow tires instead. If I were to lift and go with Nitto Ridge Grappler tires (265/65 x 18 - 31.6" tall) my wife would have a fit. Actually, if I would have bought the 2019 CTR instead of the PP, I'd be typing this from a hotel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too would prefer more rubber between the road and wheel rim during the winter months here in West Michigan. I'm not a tire expert, & I'm struggling with wheel circumference and its affects on the speedometer and GPS systems. I'm wondering about decreasing the the Rim diameter while increasing the Tire height, to achieve the OEM tire height / circumference. Have you any thoughts on minimum rim ID and tire height?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I find it amusing that for years people were discarding good wheels/ tires for larger ones, just to look cool.
Now y'all are discarding larger ones for smaller. I'm lookiing forward to the days when fins return.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find it amusing that for years people were discarding good wheels/ tires for larger ones, just to look cool.
Now y'all are discarding larger ones for smaller. I'm lookiing forward to the days when fins return.
Looking for input on WINTER tires, not Smaller tires, - maybe skinny-er - just better than all-season.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am running 17” Honda OEM steel rims (I had these on my 2015 Pilot) and 245/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires. These work great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer more rubber between my rims and the asphalt (at the expense of sharper cornering) because of bone jarring pot holes.

My MDX has a 5 x 120 lug pattern, as does my PP Touring AWD.
I have 17" aftermarket rims on my 2007 MDX with tires 235/65 x 17. They are 29.1" tall, 9.5" fat, and have a tread width of 7.5"
My OEM 18" MDX Sport rims are in storage, with tires 255/55 x 18. They are 29" tall, 10.4" fat, and have a tread width of 8.6"

My 2019 PP has 20" rims, with tires 265/45 x 20. They are 29.3" tall , 10.5" fat, and have a tread width of 8.5"

All of the measurements line up, but the 17" rims might not clear my PP suspension. Just for kicks, I will put the 17" rims & tires on my PP and see if the rims or tires rub.

My 18" rims will be fine on the PP, because many overlanders are using 18" rims and 30.5" tall tires and a 2" lift kit, but I'll buy snow tires instead. If I were to lift and go with Nitto Ridge Grappler tires (265/65 x 18 - 31.6" tall) my wife would have a fit. Actually, if I would have bought the 2019 CTR instead of the PP, I'd be typing this from a hotel.
245/70R17 Blizzaks DM-V2. Inch larger in diameter 30.6. No rub. Rides well. No issues on the Pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, I had wheels I stalled at Costco, so I didn't even take them out of the boxes. That said, the cap is plastic so I assume it can be replaced. I have no idea if Honda part will be a fit or not. Perhaps you can ask a retailer or a manufacturer to clarify this issue. I would recommend Discount Tire since they install a fair amount of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am running 17” Honda OEM steel rims (I had these on my 2015 Pilot) and 245/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires. These work great.
Jsport used to offer 17" wheels. When I called them, they told me they don't recommend the 17" anymore. He didn't elaborate as to why.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Jsport used to offer 17" wheels. When I called them, they told me they don't recommend the 17" anymore. He didn't elaborate as to why.
There definitely is no problem running 17” wheels, as long as you get the correct offset and they clear the calipers okay. There are a few people running 17’s on this site.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 17" aluminum wheels with studded winter tires on my 2018 Ridgeline and when I find a set of 17" OE aluminum wheels our 19 Passport will also have them...There is a much better selection of studdable winter tires in the 17" size...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts