Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
978 Posts
I saw that article yesterday, not sure why they are calling it a 2020, when it is a 2019(?)

As far as the switch from a traditional lever-shifter to a push button one, I like it a lot, but I am a little worried about the possibility of spilling you drink (the drink holder is right-next-to the shift buttons).

I was thinking about seeing if there is some sort of a rubber seal that could be put over it, like they make for computer keyboards..

Also, within the next 10 years, I'm pretty sure that all automatic transmissions will have some button on the dash or steering wheel and be "by wire" as opposed to being "by cable", so Honda is jumping ahead, just like with the digital speedometer!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seems like a bunch of regurgitated information that has been better presented elsewhere. I do wonder if the push gear selector is as confusing to operate as some articles are claiming. What's complicated about pushing a gear button?
I like this push-gear selector on the center console. At least from the visual standpoint.

However, those that actually drove the latest Pilot said that it is rather confusing to operate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Push button gear selectors are always criticized, though I doubt it would take more than a day or two to acclimate to it. Other publications found it very easy to user in older Pilots.
Rightfully so. It all depends on how it's implemented. I'm not a fan of the push button selector on the same place where a lever would be more convenient (for me). I don't have to look down every time I change gears...again just my .02

I guess it could be worse...

·
810 Posts
I'm not a fan of the push button selector on the same place where a lever would be more convenient (for me). I don't have to look down every time I change gears...
My current Pilot has an old fashioned gear shift on the steering wheel. I never have to look at it, ever. Drive, Reverse, doesn't matter. No looking necessary.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've actually seen some newer electric concepts that have placed the gear selector directly on the steering wheel (ID Buzz). I think automakers are trying to make the interior design much more streamlined and simple with new models.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The new push-button shifter is unique. Its the newness of it that makes shifting different. In time you won't be looking at it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think I like the looks of our “push button shifter” over the “turn dial shifter” that some of the other manufactures are using.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Agree! No dial. At least with the buttons and their shape, I can get it right with my fingers, while not looking.
I'm sure with today's safety in mind, Honda has programmed into the push button shifter some safety. (Automatically shifts to park if you're not rolling and shut off engine) . Also if you open the door without having your seat belt on, it will shift to park. Can't do any of that with a shifter.

·
978 Posts
I often just turn the Passport off while stopped and in either Reverse or Drive, knowing that it with automatically switch to Park... I like it...!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts